I love a seasonal take on my favorite go-to recipes. I often like to make my own pesto throughout the year however this recipe brings a touch of spring into my basic vegan pesto recipe. Peas and arugula add beautiful natural coloring as well as a peppery/lemony kick to this recipe. Thanks to one of my favorite blogger friends @Lexiborr for the recipe inspo here!
What you need:
- ½ cup thawed organic frozen peas (can use fresh)
- 1 good handful of fresh organic arugula (roughly just over a cup)
- 2.5 T raw organic walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3-4 T olive oil (may need more or less depending on texture preference)
- Salt and pepper
How you do it:
- Throw all ingredients into a food processor or Vitamix and blend on high
- Add olive oil as needed until reaching desired consistency (I like mine on the thicker side but some like thinner)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Stores well in a glass jar in the fridge for up to a week
- I like to toss zucchini noodles (pictured) or lentil pasta in this sauce and add a plethora of extra veggies; this stores well for lunches throughout the week and can even be eaten cold
- Leftovers? Use as a sauce on avocado toast or add a few tablespoons with a can a chickpeas to a food processor for a flavor packed take on homemade hummus!