Who doesn’t love a warm bowl of pasta?
As a GF gal it can be hard to find the right pasta to fit the bill but I personally have loved using lentil pastas as a replacement! I have had Banza chickpea pasta and that is less of a fav…I personally love Ancient Harvest POW lentil pasta, Chickapea brand pasta (chickpea and lentil) and this newer brand Cybele’s that I just ordered to try from Thrive Market (they only use lentils and veggies!) I like that I’m getting a punch of fiber and protein from the lentil varieties vs. the typical rice/corn based GF ones and find that they have a good bite. If you just can’t get on board with a lentil pasta try DeLallo-their GF pastas are the real deal and you wont notice the difference!
This alfredo has all of the creamy, dreamy, richness of a typical alfredo without the stomach ache after! Tip: You can DIY a healthier vodka sauce by blending roasted tomatoes into this recipe or roasted red peppers!
What you need:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk (doesn’t need to be canned, just unsweetened)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 large onion (chopped)
- 1 T olive oil or vegan butter (can use grass fed butter if tolerated)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- pinch of black pepper
- optional: lemon zest (~2 pinches)
- box of GF pasta (see above for recommendations; I used Chickapea brand here)
- 1 pint of shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped lacinato/dinosaur kale
- optional: fresh/dried chopped parsley or basil to garnish
- avocado oil
For the sauce:
- Boil water, pour over raw cashews and let soak for at least 30 minutes
- While soaking: add 1 T vegan butter to a large saucepan with minced garlic and onion, saute on low ~ 5-10 minutes (just until golden, not browned), add red pepper flakes
- Add 1/2 cup cashew soaking water + cashews to a vitamix or blender, add coconut milk, sauteed butter/garlic mixture, salt and pepper, lemon zest
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy; taste and add more salt as needed
For the accompaniments:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Roughly chop mushrooms and kale, lay out on parchment paper on a baking sheet and spray with avocado oil spray (I like Primal kitchen brand) or oil of choice
- Place veggies in the oven and set timer for 15-20 minutes, check and toss halfway through; remove once kale is crispy (basically kale chips) but not overdone (It will sound crispy when you shift it around)
- Boil water and cook pasta according to box instructions, do not overcook!
- Add cooked/drained pasta back into saucepan and pour alfredo sauce all over, spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with mushrooms,crispy kale and a dash of parsley.