Make your summer grilling season healthier & low carb with these collard wrapped burgers! I love to use collard greens in this recipe but if you can’t find those you can just use raw boston or iceberg lettuce for the wraps!
What you need:
- 1 pound grassfed ground beef/turkey/bison
- garlic powder/salt/pepper
- avocado oil
- 1 bunch collard greens
- toppings: carmelized onion (highly recommend!), pickles, tomato, mustard, ketchup, etc
How you do it:
- Heat up the grill on high
- Form the ground meat into 5-6 burger patties
- Brush with some oil and season with garlic powder (~1 tsp total) and a few shakes of salt and pepper
- Once grill is hot, cook for 3-5 minutes on each side (shorter for beef, longer for turkey)
- If you don’t have a grill; cook on a grill pan or cast iron for about the same amount of time as above!
- While waiting on the meat, heat up a large stockpot of water until boiling
- Holding the stem, dip the entire leaf of the collard green into the hot water and remove immediately, place on towels to dry (basically blanching without the ice bath)
- Once burgers are done, remove from the grill, let cool slightly, and place on the inside of a collard green
- Position the leaf on a cutting board so that the stem is facing your body and the leaf is opposite
- Find where the stem meats the start of the leaf and cut off about 3-4 inches into the stem (essentially where the stem is super thick, get rid of it); cut off in an upside down V shape
- Place desired toppings on burger, wrap up the sides of the leaf first and then wrap the part of the leaf closest to you over the burger, rolling the burger over itself (rolling away from your body) to wrap up the other end
- Slice in half, add a toothpick and serve immediately!
Makes ~ 5-6 servings